RETAIL SALES POSITION available (part time) at my fishing tackle shop in Rontogai with a possibility of some fishbait processing, wholesale bait deliveries and Deckhand work on fishing charters. Its mainly weekend work with some midweek days.
Send CV to [email protected] or phone 0274439750
LATEST FISHING REPORT
Fishing report 13 feb
1. Albacore are getting caught out wide from Kapiti and Hunters at present. The water temp is around 19-20 deg. Hapuku spots often have albacore around them at this time of the year so it’s worth having some tuna lures in your kit.
2. Puka, bass and bluenose - the trench is fishing pretty well when you can get out, particularly for bluenose. Good numbers of small to medium fish south of Baring head with bigger ones on the far side spots. The back of 5 mile (woba) has bass on it and the gemfish and tope have been common by catch at most spots. Puka fishing out west is good. Most spots are producing good fish at present on the turn of tide. We have been fishing Makara and Ohau with good results lately but I hear Fishermans, the sth Mana patch, 78mtr rise and other spots are firing on and off.
3. Snapper - they are pretty much widespread up and down the west coast now. Limit bags and 20lbers are on the cards. Fishing on the sand or reef (25 -70mtrs) will produce fish with the help of Berley or slowing drifting over hotspots. There's been alot of small ones (1-2kg) around Mana and down to boom with bigger ones (3-5kg) northg of Pukerua bay. Slow jigs have been working well as well as bait and berley. On the south coast the airport reef and east of Sinclair head (35-45mtrs) have been producing nice snapper and good numbers occasionally. Surfcaster’s in Palliser bay, the harbour and out west have all had good results of snapper with 3-4 fish around 7-8kg caught recently. It's prime time for north of Fisherman's table to start firing off the shore for snapper if anyone's keen.
4. Tarakihi and other species - out west These places have gone well for us - Boom rock (50-70mtr) Makara (25mtr), Verns (70mtr) and south of the bridge (40mtr).
5. Kingfish - it’s going well in the harbour for land based anglers. Lures, live and dead baits have all been producing fish up to 20kg over the last week. Live mackerel and slidebaiting have been the best method and all these places have produced good fish up to around 20kgs recently - Oriental bay, Sunshine bay, Greta point & Flat rock. In the boat places like hunters, nth end of Kapiti, Aeroplane island, Fisherman's, Wiraka rise, Ohau and Boom, plus ward island, the wreck, point halswell, Jenningham and Barretts reef should all produce good kingfish at this time of the year. If you want to catch a kingi, use your heaviest tackle with a good drag and put a livie or or two out, tow a rapala or get into some mechanical jigging
6. harbour - if the weathers good Ward island has been good for kingis, snaps, trevally, gurnard and kahawai. Around the leading light is a good place to start. Point Gordan (20mtrs) is always worth a crack as well as falcon shoal. point Jenningham and Halswell in 20mtrs are good southerly spots
7. Surfcasters have been doing well on snapper and they are in real close on the west at present so if you want snapper off the shore, now is prime time! There has been a sprinkling of moki around but kahawai and gurnard are the mainstay for shore fishers particularly in the harbour.
Shop - 15 kingsford smith st, rongotai open 7.30am-5.30pm mond-Friday and 8am-4pm on weekends.
(photo a 19lb snapper caught by Ray - Jan 2020)
I'm primarily chartering on the west coast out from Mana Marina at present
There are three types of trips we commonly book.
Four hour trips targeting snapper, kingfish, trevally, gurnard, bluecod and tarakihi in sheltered water. $130pp (share cost) or $1400 for the boat ($20pp tackle hire)
Six hour trips which can go a bit further and generally have more consistent fishing. We can also have a shot at some deepwater fishing if you want. $170pp or $1800 for the 12 person boat ($30pp tackle hire)
9hr full day trips are a mixture of deepwater fishing (hapuku) and inshore fishing. $200pp or $2300 for the boat ($40pp tackle hire)
We also travel to the Marlborough Sounds and Durville Island on overnight trips which start at $385pp. We can do a package deal with accomodation, meals and fishing gear if required or you can bring/organize your own.
4hr trip - Area - local south coast (30 min drive). Target fish - blue moki, blue cod, kahawai, tarakihi, spotty shark. Cost - $120pp, tackle hire - $20pp
6 hour - Area - extended trip to south coast (30 - 75 minute drive). Target fish - blue moki, blue cod, kahawai, tarakihi, spotty shark. Cost - $150pp, tackle hire - $30pp
10hr trip Area - extended trip to south coast or Wairarapa (60 - 100 minute drive). Target fish - blue moki, blue cod, kahawai, tarakihi, spotty shark, snapper. Cost - $200pp, tackle hire - $40pp
Overnight Trip We normally fish both the evening and morning turn of light, if you are keen. Area - extended trip to south coast or Wairarapa (60 - 100 minute drive). Target fish - blue moki, blue cod, kahawai, tarakihi, spotty shark, snapper. Cost - $300pp includes accommodation, tackle hire - $50pp, food $50